Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Chapter 8: The one where I stick needles in my face

Come on baby, make it hurt so good....



You probably wouldn't think that sticking needles into your face over and over again would be a good thing. 

And, yet....

As time marches on and things start to...well, let's just say no one thinks I'm 25 anymore. You know what I'm sayin'. 

Do not go quietly into that good night, y'all! Well, I guess you can go quietly, but for the love of God, don't go all wrinkly and blotchy and saggy and dull and old-lookin'. Resist!

If you opened any door, drawer, or cabinet in my bathroom you would think you fell into the skincare section of a ginormous Sephora. I'm not bragging. It's actually embarrassing. I think about how much money I've spent on lotions and potions and serums and you-name-it...well...let's just say I could have bought a lot of snacks with that money. 

A lot.

But, now? 

I feel like these new soldiers in my anti-aging army are The Ones I've been looking for! Finally! They're like the bad ass old people soldiers in that movie with Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren! 

This is the Helen Mirren of skincare tools! Because I feel like Helen Mirren would totally stab me in the face with teeny tiny needles and tell me to stop whining and that she's only doing it for my own good. 

This is a micro-roller. It's covered in tiny little needles. And you roll this thing all over your face. Basically, you just stab yourself in the face. Over and over and over. Just like Helen Mirren would do!

That sounds great, right? How could that not be awesome?

So why is this not the worst idea ever? Science. These little needles make tiny wounds all over your face. Which does two things: 

1. It makes tiny little holes that are open to whatever serum or treatment you put on immediately afterward, so it helps the ingredients penetrate and do their j-o-b.

2. It stimulates your skin to make new collagen to help heal the teeny tiny holes. And collagen is the good stuff that makes your skin dewy and glowy and plumpy and baby-y. 

After reading a bunch of stuff from skincare experts/dermatologists, I opted to try this one. There are rollers with longer needles, but from what I read, that's not necessarily the best thing...and definitely not the way you want to start. Ease yourself into stabbing yourself in the face.

Let me be clear: I have really sensitive shite skin. It's combination skin. I have pores that can double as places to store spare change...or snacks. I have rosacea and my capillaries are as fragile as a certain orange man's ego. 

I was really unsure about this thing. 

But I figured, hey, what's the worst that could happen? (Okay, so the worst that could happen would be that I stab myself in the face repeatedly and break all my capillaries and wreck my skin irreversibly.)

So I started with once a week. 

Now it's twice a week and I think that's plenty for me. And I think it's making a real difference. A BIG one. 

I'm using a serum of Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C both before and after stabbing myself in the face.  And, one of the two times a week I use it, I use a collagen sheet mask afterward. 

I'm not gonna lie: my skin looks so good that I didn't even put an instagram filter on my most recent selfie. 

Dammmmmn. High praise, indeed. 

I understand that some people move on to longer needles or more frequent use. Your mileage may vary. 

I expected this to be just One More Thing In My Drawer. But it isn't -- it's my new must-have and I highly recommend it. Oh, and did I mention it's cheaper than the last bottle of snail serum I bought at the K-Beauty store? 

Get you one, girl. For real.

P.S. As an added bonus, I'm linking to the serum I'm using, too. It's straightforward in its ingredients and well-priced, hasn't caused any negative reaction from my hypersensitive skin and is giving me good results. Oh, and added bonus bonus: these are the sheet masks I'm using. I freaking glow, girl. 




                                

No comments:

Post a Comment